This publish would possibly include associate hyperlinks. Please learn my disclosure coverage.
Those amusing Caga Tió cupcakes have a good time the well-known “pooping” log that brings youngsters gifts each and every Christmas right here in Catalonia, Spain.
Christmas cupcakes…however lead them to Catalan. ♡
This December marks our 5th vacation season residing right here in Barcelona…and Teo’s first actual! We had this type of amusing time this previous weekend taking him to the central Christmas marketplace, purchasing his first tree, including to our nativity set, and gazing his eyes remove darkness from seeing all the twinkly lighting across the town. However after all, it wouldn’t be the Christmas season right here with out one of the vital highest and quirkiest Catalan traditions that we completely love…the coming of Caga Tió, the well-known Catalan pooping log.
If you happen to’ve by no means heard of Caga Tió, Barclay and I in truth recorded a video studying in regards to the custom once we first moved right here (see underneath). However in a nutshell, kiddos throughout Catalonia spend the month of December feeding their Caga Tió oranges and meals scraps on a daily basis, whilst looking to be on their highest habits below his watch all month lengthy. Then on Christmas Day, the youngsters all accumulate to sing a music and (sure) whack Tió again and again with a stick. Then in the event that they had been just right and their Tió is sweet and entire…he “poops” out gifts for everybody.
It’s a centuries-old custom that everybody right here nonetheless has such a lot amusing celebrating. (As our pals say, is it truly that a lot more unusual than a dude from the North Pole sliding down your chimney?) So this weekend, we had a good time in the end introducing our Teo to our Tió. And in combination, we began feeding him early in order that he’ll be in a position to do a little very good pooping this Christmas. Then I were given slightly over excited…and made cupcakes to have a good time.
So for somebody right here in Catalonia or all over the world who desires to have a good time Caga Tió in an additional candy means this 12 months, right here’s a handy guide a rough educational for make those cupcakes!
Caga Tió Cupcake Provides
Listed below are the provides it is important to make your personal Caga Tió cupcakes:
- Meals coloring: Be at liberty to make use of no matter sort and colour of meals coloring that you simply choose for those cupcakes. For higher or worse, crimson and black are one of the most colours of frosting that require essentially the most quantity of dye to succeed in a colourful colour, so simply know that you can want a beneficiant quantity. I used this crimson and black meals coloring from Wilton, however you’ll be able to additionally use this herbal crimson meals coloring from Colour Lawn (no longer rather as colourful, nevertheless it’s herbal). Then I simply added in some unsweetened cocoa powder to the buttercream to make the brown color for Caga Tió’s picket face.
- Sprinkles: I used those Wilton sweet eyes, that are too adorable!
- Piping guidelines: You’ll be able to use any small spherical tip (I used Wilton piping tip #3) to pipe the black frosting for the cap band, eyebrows and mouth. Then I like to recommend a small big name tip (I used Wilton piping tip #18) to pipe the crimson cap.
- Small offset spatula (not obligatory): I used a small offset spatula to unfold the brown frosting base proven right here, however you’ll be able to additionally simply as simply use a knife to unfold the frosting as a substitute should you’d choose.
- Cupcake liners: I simply used darkish brown liners for the cupcakes proven right here, however be happy to make use of no matter colour, subject material and/or trend of cupcake liners that you simply choose.
Then, after all, you are going to additionally want your favourite cupcake and frosting recipes! I used Cupcake Challenge’s well-known vanilla cupcake recipe right here (made with out vanilla beans as a result of I will by no means appear to stay them available), crowned with a easy chocolate buttercream. However be happy to make use of make no matter taste of cupcakes and frosting that you simply love highest.
How To Enhance Those Cupcakes
First, bake the chocolate cupcakes as prompt underneath and allow them to cool utterly to room temperature. Make the buttercream, then portion out 2/Three cup of the frosting to dye it black. Halve the rest frosting, and dye part of it crimson and part of it brown.
- Create the face. Use an offset spatula (or a knife) to unfold a skinny base layer of brown frosting on best of each and every cupcake.
- Upload the black cap band, eyes and eyebrows. Use a small spherical piping tip to pipe the black frosting in a line to create the band for the cap. Upload the sweet eyes and pipe on small black eyebrows.
- Upload the crimson cap. Use a small big name tip to pipe the crimson frosting to fill within the crimson cap.
- Upload the nostril, legs and smile. Ruin off small items of pretzel sticks and poke them into the cupcake to create the nostril and two legs. In any case, use the black frosting to pipe on a grin. Then serve and revel in!
If you happen to don’t have piping guidelines, you’ll be able to snip off a small nook of a ziplock bag to make a easy spherical tip that you’ll be able to use to pipe the black frosting. Then be happy to do the similar with a separate bag for the crimson frosting, or you’ll be able to unfold it on with a butter knife.
Cupcake Adorning Pointers
Listed below are a couple of fundamental cupcake adorning guidelines (<– hehe, adorning pun!) to remember whilst adorning your Christmas cupcakes…
- Let the cupcakes cool to room temperature earlier than frosting. If you happen to frost the cupcakes whilst they’re nonetheless heat, the butter within the frosting will warmth and motive the frosting to soften. So make sure to let the cupcakes cool utterly earlier than frosting. (If you wish to have to hurry up the method, you’ll be able to in moderation take away the cupcakes from the baking pan, switch them to a cord rack, and position them within the fridge till cooled.)
- Double-check the consistency of the buttercream earlier than frosting. Usually, I like to recommend that the buttercream be stiff-peak consistency for piping. (If you happen to dip in a spoon then flip it right-side-up, the frosting must cling its form.) However earlier than you pass forward and fill a complete piping bag with buttercream, I like to recommend including only a spoonful or two to be able to check piping it together with your desired piping tip, simply to be sure that the buttercream isn’t too skinny or too thick.
- Apply piping. I all the time apply piping the design a couple of times on a blank plate (or piece of parchment paper) earlier than making an attempt it on the true cupcake. Then you’ll be able to simply scoop up the apply icing and upload it again in your piping bag in order that it’s no longer wasted.
- Upload the sprinkles instantly. Make sure you upload the sweet eye sprinkles inside of 30 mins of frosting the cupcakes. Differently, the frosting would possibly harden and the sprinkles won’t adhere smartly to the frosting.
Extra Christmas Dessert Recipes
In search of extra amusing treats to bake this vacation season? Listed below are a couple of of my faves…
Those amusing Caga Tió cupcakes have a good time the well-known “pooping” log that brings youngsters gifts each and every Christmas right here in Catalonia, Spain. See notes above for step by step adorning directions.
Chocolate Cupcake Substances:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- third cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 huge egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup espresso (or water), room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Buttercream Substances:
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- four cups powdered sugar
- 1/four cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 28 sweet eyes
- handful of pretzel sticks
- crimson and black meals coloring
To Make The Cupcakes:
- Prep the oven and cupcake liners. Warmth oven to 300°F (148°C). Line two cupcake pans with about 16 liners general (or you’ll be able to bake more than one batches with one pan).
- Mix the dry components. Upload the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt to a big blending bowl and whisk to mix. Put aside.
- Mix the rainy components. In a separate medium blending bowl, whisk in combination the egg, buttermilk, espresso, oil and vanilla till lightly blended.
- Combine the batter. Upload the rainy components to the dry components and stir till simply blended. The batter will probably be skinny.
- Bake. Fill the cupcake liners in order that they’re simply over midway complete. (You’ll have between 14 to 16 cupcakes.) Bake for 18 to 23 mins, or till a toothpick inserted in the midst of a cupcake comes out blank. Switch the pan to a cord rack and let the cupcakes cool utterly to room temperature. See step by step ornament directions within the notes above.
To Make The Buttercream:
- Beat the butter. Upload the butter to a big blending bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium velocity for two to a few mins till it’s gentle and fluffy.
- Upload the rest components. Upload the powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract and beat on low velocity for 1 minute till blended. Scrape down the edges of the bowl, then beat on medium velocity for two extra mins till utterly clean.
- Regulate consistency if wanted. If the buttercream turns out too skinny, upload in 1 to two cups of extra powdered sugar and beat till clean. If the buttercream turns out too thick, upload in 1 tablespoon of heavy cream (or extra, if wanted) and beat till clean. Dye about 2/Three cup of the frosting black. Then halve the rest quantity of frosting and dye one part crimson and one part brown. (I used cocoa powder because the brown “meals coloring.”)
Garage directions: Unfrosted baked cupcakes can also be saved in a sealed container at room temperature for as much as Three days. Simple buttercream can also be refrigerated in a sealed container for as much as 1 week. To be protected, frosted cupcakes must be refrigerated in a sealed container the place they are able to be saved for as much as five days.
Prep time: The prep time indexed within the recipe above approximates the period of time that it’s going to take to embellish the cupcakes, however does no longer come with the time beyond regulation wanted for the cupcakes to fully cool to room temperature, which will take anyplace from 30-60 mins. I in most cases make the buttercream whilst the cupcakes are within the oven to save lots of time.
Supply: Chocolate cupcakes recipe fairly tailored from Lifestyles, Love and Sugar.