This put up would possibly include associate hyperlinks. Please learn my disclosure coverage.
A step by step information (and video) for the right way to make do-it-yourself baklava with completely crispy golden layers of phyllo, your number of nuts, and wonderful citrus honey syrup.
Selfmade baklava has been on my culinary bucket record for years and years and years. So final December, I after all determined to have slightly baklavathon and spent the entire month studying concerning the other baklava types and meals traditions from all over the world, checking out out quite a lot of baklava recipes, and refining our personal circle of relatives’s favorites. And seems — I revel in making baklava such a lot. ♡
To make certain, baklava is a exertions of affection that can at all times require a couple of affected person hours of your time to prep, bring together and bake. However as you’ll see within the video demonstration beneath, the method for the right way to make this actual genre of baklava is if truth be told somewhat easy. (No fancy tactics or apparatus required.) And as any person who has a tendency to search out repetitive baking tasks somewhat enjoyable and meditative, I in truth in reality loved the entire slicing and combing that is going into growing all 40 of the ones pretty, flaky, honey-soaked layers.
There are naturally unending other ways in which you’ll make baklava, relying on which meals custom you occur to be following. However the recipe our circle of relatives beloved very best ended up being a little of a mixture between Greek and Turkish-style baklava, made with loads of buttery, golden, flaky sheets of phyllo, a mixture of pistachios and walnuts, honey-sweetened syrup, plus a slightly of warming spices and orange blossom water added in for added intensity of taste. And my goodness, it’s so decadent and SO scrumptious.
It’s the very best undertaking for simple weekend days or — now that we have got a very energetic 8-month previous round this vacation season — some blissfully uninterrupted solo baking time within the night as soon as the little ones after all fall asleep. And it additionally makes for an excellent gift if you’re feeling like sharing some candy treats with family and friends season. (Oohs and ahhs are assured!)
For those who’re new to creating baklava, I might strongly counsel studying the notes and pointers beneath earlier than beginning the recipe. However I promise that it’s really smooth to make and might be price the effort and time. So clutch your apron and let’s make some do-it-yourself baklava!
Selfmade Baklava Recipe | 1-Minute Video
Selfmade Baklava Components:
Earlier than we get to the entire baklava recipe beneath, listed below are some necessary notes concerning the crucial baklava substances you are going to want:
- Phyllo dough: You are going to want a 1-pound package deal of phyllo dough, which will have to include round 40 sheets. Often referred to as filo or fillo dough, those tissue-thin sheets of dough will wish to be thawed in line with package deal instructions earlier than use. (Please word that phyllo dough is no longer puff pastry. They’re continuously offered facet by way of facet in retail outlets, however they’re utterly other merchandise so you’ll want to acquire phyllo!)
- Nuts: I used a 50/50 mix of pistachios and walnuts for this recipe, however you might be welcome to make use of an similar quantity of no matter kinds of nuts you like. It’s necessary to very finely chop the nuts in order that the baklava might be smooth to chop. I in finding it’s very best to simply blitz the nuts in a meals processor, however you’ll simply chop them by way of hand too.
- Flooring cinnamon: We can combine a touch of floor cinnamon into the nut combination for the baklava filling. For those who occur to have floor cardamom readily available, I really like including in an additional half teaspoon to the nut filling too.
- Melted butter: Baklava is continuously historically made with clarified butter (made by way of melting butter and isolating out the additional water and butter solids), which I agree yields baklava with higher taste and an overly even texture. That mentioned, regardless that, I’ve additionally made this recipe simply the use of common (unclarified) melted butter, and it nonetheless labored neatly too. See notes beneath for directions relying on which number of butter you make a decision to make use of.
- Honey syrup: You are going to want 4 major substances to make the honey syrup — honey, water, white granulated sugar and freshly-squeezed orange juice (or lemon juice). Then I additionally extremely counsel including in an additional 2 to three teaspoons of orange blossom water (and/or a touch of rose water), which provides the most endearing floral undertones. If you’ll’t monitor down a bottle of orange blossom water, you’re welcome to depart it out, but it surely’s my favourite element on this recipe and provides an impossible to resist intensity of taste.
How To Make Baklava:
Very detailed directions for the right way to make baklava are incorporated within the video above and the entire baklava recipe beneath. Then again, listed below are a couple of pointers and methods I’ve realized alongside the way in which that I in finding useful too…
- Pre-portion the nuts. I in finding that it’s very best to pre-portion the nuts into five equivalent quantities earlier than you start to bring together the baklava. It makes them extra-easy to clutch and sprinkle on, and likewise guarantees that the layers of nuts might be kind of even.
- Relax the honey syrup. Chilly syrup poured over extremely popular baklava is the important thing to crispy baklava! So as soon as your syrup is able to move, I like to recommend right away refrigerating it in a shallow-ish bowl in order that it could kick back utterly earlier than it’s time to pour it over the new baklava. You’ll additionally pop the syrup within the freezer for the primary 30 mins if you want to hurry the method up a little.
- Trim the phyllo to the dimensions of your pan. Maximum store-bought applications of phyllo are moderately higher than a nine x 13-inch pan, so it is very important trim the sheets down a little to suit the pan. Make sure you save your scraps, regardless that, simply in case a sheet has a big tear and must be patched up a little.
- Stay the phyllo wet. Phyllo dries out temporarily, so it’s necessary to stay it coated whilst assembling the baklava in order that it could keep great and wet. I simply loosely draped a moist (no longer sopping wet) kitchen towel over my stack of phyllo, however damp paper towels would paintings neatly too.
- Explain or stir the melted butter neatly. For the most efficient baklava, I like to recommend taking the time to explain the butter. (Right here is a straightforward instructional. And please word that you’re going to want a yield of one.five cups clarified butter within the finish, so it is very important get started with a fair higher quantity.) But when you select to skip this step, simply you’ll want to periodically whisk the butter whilst assembling the baklava in order that you’re no longer left with best the watery a part of the butter on the very finish.
- Don’t over-butter the phyllo. Please word that each and every sheet of phyllo does no longer wish to be 100% brushed with butter! The sheets will naturally moisten one some other as they’re layered in combination, and the baklava might be too soggy should you utterly brush each and every unmarried sheet. (Plus, you’ll most likely run out of butter.) Simply calmly brush each and every sheet — particularly the sides — and also you’ll be excellent to move.
- Make a tick list. It’s no longer exhausting to make baklava…but it surely is smooth to by chance lose monitor of the place you might be within the procedure alongside the way in which. 😉 I like to recommend jotting down slightly word to your self each and every time you entire a layer so as to know what steps nonetheless stay.
- Slice the items all over earlier than baking. Don’t omit to slice the baklava all over earlier than baking. And in addition don’t omit to sprinkle any more nuts on best after baking, differently they’ll burn.
- Retailer baklava at room temperature. If you wish to have your baklava to stick as crispy as imaginable, it’s very best to shop baklava at room temperature in a loosely-covered (no longer hermetic) container. I simply loosely position a sheet of aluminum foil on best of my baking dish or meals garage container, however that you must additionally quilt yours with a kitchen towel. Alternately, you’ll shop the baklava within the fridge, however simply know that it is going to be significantly much less crispy.
- Don’t fear about perfection. On the finish of the day, each and every unmarried slice of baklava does no longer wish to be completely layered and even, so don’t tension about perfection. 🙂 Simply be affected person and feature amusing with the method and I promise the effects might be deliciously price it!
Other Baklava Diversifications:
There are lots of, many alternative tactics that you’re welcome to customise this baklava recipe and make it your personal. Listed below are a couple of easy permutations to believe…
- Use other nuts: Pistachios and/or walnuts are generally the preferred varieties of nuts utilized in baklava. However almonds, pecans, hazelnuts and pine nuts are all scrumptious choices that you simply’re welcome so as to add in too. You are going to simply want 1 pound of nuts in overall, so be at liberty to make a choice one or combine in combination a couple of other varieties of nuts.
- Use much less (or 0) honey: This baklava recipe indisputably has a notable honey taste. So should you desire much less of a honey taste, you might be welcome to exchange granulated white sugar for phase or the entire honey.
- Make it much less candy: If you want your baklava to be much less candy normally, be at liberty to make use of much less of the honey syrup.
- Use other spices: Be at liberty to additionally experiment with blending other warming spices in with the nuts or simmering them into the honey syrup. Cinnamon is maximum continuously added, however cardamom, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and/or ginger would even be completely scrumptious on this recipe.
- Slice the baklava another way: As an alternative of cutting the baklava into diamonds as proven right here, be at liberty to slice it into squares, rectangles, or no matter amusing shapes or patterns you like.
In the end, a couple of questions on baklava and doable troubleshooting pointers…
- How do you pronounce baklava (and spell it)? Pronunciations and spellings range considerably between the other areas and traditions that make baklava all over the world. Turkish baklava, one of the well known examples, is pronounced BAH-klah-vah.
- The place did baklava originate? In step with Wikipedia, “the pre-Ottoman foundation of the dish is unknown, however, in fashionable occasions, this is a not unusual dessert of Iranian, Turkish, and Arab cuisines, and different nations of the Levant and Maghreb, in conjunction with the South Caucasus, Balkans, and Central Asia.”
- How do you save you soggy baklava? Soggy baklava is continuously led to by way of both over-brushing the phyllo with an excessive amount of butter (simply use the volume indexed within the recipe), no longer chilling the syrup (chilly syrup hitting the new baklava is helping the steam to evaporate), or storing it tightly sealed and/or refrigerated (you don’t need to seal within the moisture).
- How finely-chopped will have to the nuts be? The feel of the nuts is as much as you. I really like mine to be beautiful finely-chopped as proven within the footage right here, which makes it more uncomplicated to slice the baklava. However should you desire a chunkier texture, you’ll chop the nuts a little extra coarsely.
- Must you narrow baklava all over? Reviews range in this subject. I really like to chop the baklava all over, which we could the honey syrup soak extra deeply into the ground layer. But when you wish to have the honey extra flippantly unfold during, you’ll reduce the baklava nearly all over, simply calmly scoring the ground layer.
A step by step information (and video) for the right way to make do-it-yourself baklava with completely crispy golden layers of phyllo, your number of nuts, and wonderful citrus honey syrup. See notes above for imaginable element permutations.
- 1 (16-ounce, 40-sheet) package deal frozen phyllo dough, thawed to room temperature (see thawing directions beneath)
- 1 pound your number of nuts (I used part walnuts and part pistachios)
- 1 teaspoon floor cinnamon
- 1 half cups melted butter (ideally clarified butter*)
- Thaw the phyllo dough. For very best effects, switch the package deal of phyllo dough to the fridge in a single day. Then let it relaxation at the counter (nonetheless in its packaging) at room temperature for 1 hour earlier than operating with it.
- Make the honey syrup. In the meantime, mix the honey, water, sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan. Warmth over medium-high warmth till the mix just about reaches a simmer, stirring infrequently. Cut back warmth to medium and proceed simmering for five mins. Switch the syrup to a heat-safe bowl, stir within the orange blossom water (if the use of), and refrigerate the syrup till in a position to make use of.
- Finely chop the nuts. Pulse the nuts in a meals processor till they’re finely-chopped. (Alternately, you’ll chop them by way of hand with a chef’s knife, or position them in a ziplock and pound them with a mallet.) Pulse or stir the nuts in conjunction with the cinnamon till blended. Put aside a couple of tablespoons of nuts to make use of later as a topping, then divide the rest nuts into five equivalent parts (more or less 3/Four cup consistent with portion) and put aside.
- Trim the phyllo dough. Unwrap and switch the thawed phyllo sheets to a chopping board and use a chef’s knife to slice them right into a nine x 13-inch rectangle (to suit the baking dish). Discard the scraps, then calmly quilt the stack of phyllo sheets with a moist towel in order that they don’t dry out.
- Organize your meeting line. Warmth oven to 325°F (162°C). Position a nine x 13-inch baking dish to your paintings station, adopted by way of the bowl of melted butter, adopted by way of the phyllo sheets, adopted by way of the chopped nuts. Time to start out!
- Butter the baking dish. Use a cushy pastry brush to calmly brush the interior of the baking dish with butter.
- 1st layer. Moderately lay 1 phyllo sheet within the baking dish and brush it calmly with butter. (No use for it to be completely brushed!) Repeat with nine extra sheets, brushing each and every with butter, till there are 10 sheets overall. Sprinkle roughly 1/five of the nut combination flippantly excessive layer of phyllo.
- 2d layer. Repeat with five extra phyllo sheets, each and every calmly brushed with butter, adopted by way of some other 1/five of the nut combination.
- third layer. Repeat with five extra phyllo sheets, each and every calmly brushed with butter, adopted by way of some other 1/five of the nut combination.
- 4th layer. Repeat with five extra phyllo sheets, each and every calmly brushed with butter, adopted by way of some other 1/five of the nut combination.
- fifth layer. Repeat with five extra phyllo sheets, each and every calmly brushed with butter, adopted by way of some other 1/five of the nut combination.
- sixth layer. In the end, repeat with the rest 10 phyllo sheets, each and every calmly brushed with butter. Brush any closing butter at the best and ultimate layer.
- Reduce the baklava. The usage of an overly sharp paring knife, slice the baklava all over into your required shapes/sizes. (I sliced mine into diamonds.)
- Bake. Switch the baking dish to the oven and bake for about 1 hour and 15 mins, or till the highest layers of the baklava are golden brown and crispy.
- Drizzle with syrup. Switch the baking dish to a twine cooling rack. Then right away drizzle the cooled syrup flippantly excessive of the new baklava. (It is going to sizzle and crack, which is what we would like!) Sprinkle a pinch of the reserved chopped nuts on best of each and every piece of baklava as a topping.
- Cool to room temperature. Let the baklava take a seat out exposed for 3-Four hours till it has utterly cooled to room temperature, then serve and revel in! Garage directions incorporated beneath.
Layers: This is an more uncomplicated to learn tick list for the baklava layers:
10 sheets + nuts
five sheets + nuts
five sheets + nuts
five sheets + nuts
five sheets + nuts
The right way to thaw frozen phyllo dough: For very best effects, take away the sealed package deal of phyllo dough from the field and let it thaw within the fridge in a single day, adopted by way of 1 hour at the countertop. Or for quicker effects, let the sealed package deal of phyllo dough thaw at the countertop for 2-Three hours till chilled however now not frozen. I don’t counsel defrosting it within the microwave.
Clarified vs unclarified butter: You might be welcome to make use of both for this recipe, however the benefit to the use of clarified butter (or ghee) is that it is going to be extra flippantly browned and can final a little longer. You’ll acquire clarified butter or make it your self. Otherwise you simply soften a couple of sticks of (unclarified) butter to make use of on this recipe, which can nonetheless paintings nice. Simply you’ll want to steadily whisk the butter whilst assembling the baklava in order that it does no longer separate.
Orange blossom water: Its taste is somewhat robust, so I like to recommend beginning with 1 or 2 teaspoons after which including extra to style. Alternately, that you must use rose water or a mixture of the 2. Or go away the orange blossom/rose water out of the recipe altogether.
Garage directions: To stay the baklava as crispy as imaginable, it’s very best to shop it at room temperature in a calmly coated baking dish or meals garage container. (I loosely quilt mine with aluminum foil.) It is going to stay for between 8-10 days at room temperature, however might be crispiest the primary five days.
Supply: Recipe tailored from Natasha’s Kitchen.